Thursday, December 28, 2006

Worrying...





Waiting and worrying...

Hubby is out of the loop for a bit and so there is no communication right now.
I can't help but worry. I just can't.

We've gotten so spoiled these days with email and chat. So, I get to hear from him somewhat regularly that way, even if he's only able to call about once a month.

It doesn't seem like that long ago when he deployed for Desert Shield/Storm. Communication then was almost non-existent.

He wrote me letters (SNAIL MAIL! Gasp!) when he could - I wrote him at least once a day. Long, detailed letters of daily life at home. Letters that would take weeks and weeks to find him.

I stayed glued to the TV watching the news. It was not healthy. But it seemed like my only link to him next to the occasional letters that would arrive in my mail box after a month (or more) long transit across the Atlantic. I read those letters over and over until I had memorized every word and every punctuation mark he wrote.

He called home whenever he could - I think there were a total of 2 or 3 middle of the night phone calls during the 8 months he was gone. The 2 minute phone calls that were so staticky I had to guess what he was saying and got disconnected before I could tell him how much I loved him.

I sent him dozens of snapshots.

I wrote "I love you" notes and had them published in the "Stars & Stripes" newspaper's personal ads, hoping he would somehow manage to get a copy there and see it. They didn't get the newspaper on anything near a regular basis. In fact, one day, on a bus in the middle of the desert, he reached down and picked up a piece of a newspaper... Just a random piece of trash on the floor... And there was the ad I had submitted. He still has that clipping today.

I sent lots of care packages full of his favorite snacks and things I hoped would make his life a little easier. Things I hoped that would remind him of how much I loved and supported him.

And I worried.

If you could keep him in your thoughts and say a prayer for his safety, it would mean a lot to us right now.

3 comments:

Linda said...

praying for you and your hubby, especially. There's a lot going on out there, and it's not pretty, and so my prayers are extra strong for all military and civilians there.

Household6 said...

I know what you mean about having such easy communication this time around.

My thoughts and prayers that he stays safe.

CopterDrsWife said...

Linda & HH6 - Thank you so much - I can't tell you how much that means to me!
CDW